Monday, July 15, 2013

Slavery: Part One

"You can't apply here. You would have to look things up and you can't see well enough to do that." "I should pay you less because you take longer to enter in the names." "Disability isn't an affirmative action criteria. You get no additional points on contract bidding."

These are my real experiences trying to make a living in the real word. My legal blindness does give me limitations, I have no illusions of this. I've started and ran two businesses because it's been so difficult finding other people to believe in me. Not everyone has the chance to start a business and not everyone who's less than perfect should have to.

Companies like Goodwill Industries do employ the disabled and take advantage of programs to help them pay far below minimum wage. Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)  allows the Secretary of Labor to grant special wage certificates to employers, permitting them to pay their workers with disabilities less than the minimum wage, often in sheltered work environments.

So an organization receives donated goods from genuine people who wish to be helpful, sells those goods bringing in a couple billion a year and touts it's good works, all while paying it's workers a minute  portion of it's income. If it were on a plantation, it would be called slavery.

"Many employers insist that paying the minimum wage to disabled employees would result in lack of profitability and a reduction in their workforce, but most benefit from philanthropic donations, preferred status when bidding on federal contracts, and federal funding.  Moreover, while their disabled workers receive subminimum wages that are subsidized by Social Security and public assistance, some workshop executives are earning salaries far above industry norms.  The economics overwhelmingly favor subminimum wage employers, encouraging the perpetuation of subminimum wage employment and leaving workers with disabilities little to no choice for real employment." The Braille Monitor, March 2012.

Most people without disabilities tend to get "starter" jobs like fast food or store clerk. Not only was I discouraged by attitudes when applying for these simple jobs, but the Social Security benefits I received could be taken away if I worked. Since government agencies react slowly to changes, if I had a job for a short time, the adjustment in benefits could last way beyond a job.

When I speak to people about my experiences applying for work, they suggest I sue. Imagine an employer finds a suit for discrimination on your record. How do you think that will look to them? Yes, it might help things for the next guy, but I wonder the better way might be to just go out and do a good job.

I will no longer shop at Goodwill. I ask that you consider doing the same. We have local charitable organizations that do good works, I'm sure you could find one of them in your area too. I also urge you to find a chance to look at a person for what they can do, who they are, and how you can REALLY help. Accommodate where you can and ask them what they might need.

You never know when you might find yourself needing a hand up and wouldn't it be much easier to know someone who can give you a perspective?

End slavery. Ask your congressman and senator to look at the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013. Start here for more information: https://nfb.org//fair-wages

1 comment:

  1. The state of Oregon, where I live, requires employers such as Goodwill Industries to pay the states minimum wage to ALL employees. Now here's hoping the rest of the country does the same.

    ReplyDelete